The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria hereby notifies all registered medical practitioners and dental surgeons that the Council has noted with concern, the increasing incidence of various forms of litigations against medical practitioners and dental surgeons with the attendant effect on their fitness to practice.
In the light of the above, the Council hereby advises registered medical practitioners and dental surgeons to strictly heed its directive as contained in the Rule 12.6 of the Code of Medical Ethics in Nigeria (2008) edition, to ensure that they “protect their practice by regularly taking professional indemnity insurance cover” to avoid or minimize the untoward effects of litigations.
Practitioners and members of the public are to avail themselves of the provisions of the Code of Medical Ethics in Nigeria (2008 ed.) for more details on this matter and others.
It is also incumbent on every practitioner to acquaint him/herself with the provisions of the Act and other subsisting regulations made by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
Members of the professions and the general public are encouraged to report violations of any professional conduct to the Council.
Such reports should be made in the form of sworn affidavits and sent to the Registrar through the following addresses:
1. Abuja Office: MDCN House Plot 1102 Cadastral Zone B11, Behind Prince and Princess Estate, off Oladipo Diya Road Kaura District, P.M.B 458, Garki Abuja.
Tel: 09-2902900 and 08106267970
2. MDCN Lagos Zonal Office (Lagos): 25, Ahmed Onibudo Street, Victoria Island, P.M.B.12611, Lagos State.
Tel: 01-4541228, 01-4541229 and 01-4541230
3. MDCN North West Zonal Office (Kaduna): Plot 3, Unguwan Gwari Crescent, (Zaria Road), Kawo, Kaduna State.
4. MDCN Enugu Zonal office (Enugu): 2, Ogufere Street, Off okpara Avenue, G.R.A. Enugu State.
5. MDCN North Central Zonal Office (Ilorin): No 13, Peter Tokula Street, Opposite Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution, GRA, Ilorin, Kwara State