- One out of every 10 physicians will become dependent on psychoactive drugs or alcohol.
- Up to 50% of physicians report anxiety, sleeplessness or depression (significantly higher than in other professions).
- Physician burnout is associated with low job satisfaction, decreased mental health and decreased quality of patient care.
- The suicide rate for physicians is twice that of the general population. The suicide rate of physicians’ wives is higher than the rate for wives of any other professional group.
- Approximately 40% of female and 27% of male medical students and residents experience pronounced symptoms of anxiety or depression.
- One out of every 100 physicians will become a narcotics addict.
- Medical residents are 5 times more likely to use sleeping pills, stimulants or other drugs compared to controls.
- Physicians under the age of 45 consistently indicate that their most toxic stressor is the struggle with work/family imbalance and its effect on home life.
I definitely identify with 2, 5 and 8.