In a statement the former Manchester United Player said, "She will be missed as a wife, sister, aunt, daughter and granddaughter. She will live on in our memory, as a guide and inspiration. Myself, my parents Janice and Julian, along with Rebecca's parents Lesley and Stephen, would like to thank our families, friends and my club colleagues who have rallied around in these desperate days, weeks and months."
He added, "Our grief, as a family, is total. We would appreciate being allowed to mourn privately."
Breast cancer is a frequently diagnosed cancer and a leading cause of cancer death in women. You can reduce your risk of developing breast cancer by:
- Regular breast examinations
- Controlling use of oral contraceptives (OCPs have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer, and benign liver tumour)
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Drinking less alcohol
- Avoiding tobacco smoke
- Eating healthy (fruits, grains and vegetables)
- And breastfeeding your children.
Regular breast examinations can never be over-emphasized especially when you have a family history of breast cancer.
Remember early detection can save your life.
May her soul rest in peace!