Monday, 20 April 2015

Student dies after taking diet pills

A 21-year-old student died after taking a lethal dose of diet pills she bought online, her mother has claimed. Eloise Parry, known as Ella, 'burned up from the inside' after swallowing the highly-toxic substance known as Dinitrophenol, or DNP.

After accidentally taking the lethal dose on April 12, she began feeling unwell at around lunchtime - and drove herself to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in Shropshire, England.

Doctors carried out a toxicity test and discovered she was in grave danger as there is no antidote to DNP, which is toxic. Her metabolism began to soar and she started to overheat. Despite doctors desperately trying to stabilise her, she died just three hours later. 

Her mother Fiona, 51, has now issued a stark warning about buying diet pills online. 'I didn't know it at the time, but Ella had bought slimming tablets on the internet.'

 'She had taken even more of these "slimming tablets" than recommended on the pack and had no idea just how dangerous they really were.'

'How many of us have ever thought "If one tablet works, surely it won't hurt to take one or two more?"'

Miss Parry, of Shrewsbury, was in the middle of a Families and Childcare Studies degree at Glyndwr University when she died, and also volunteered for West Mercia Women's Aid and the YMCA. 

 The cause of Miss Parry's death will be confirmed by a coroner at a later date.

Facts on DNP
  • DNP is sold as a weight loss aid, but has been described as 'extremely dangerous to human health' by doctors.
  • It is sold mostly over the internet under a number of different names but contains 2, 4-Dinitrophenol.
  • It is marketed mainly to bodybuilders as a weight loss aid as it is thought to dramatically boost metabolism.
  • The manufactured drug is yellow and odourless and was previously used as a herbicide and fungicide. 
  • It was launched as a slimming aid in the U.S. in the 1930s but then banned in 1938, due to the severe side-effects.
  • Depending on the amount consumed, signs of acute poisoning could include nausea, vomiting, restlessness, flushed skin, sweating, dizziness, headaches, rapid respiration and irregular heart-beat, possibly leading to coma and death. 
Source-Dailymail


No comments:

Post a Comment

Can you guess the diagnosis?

This is the Leser-TrĂ©lat sign.  It is defined as the sudden eruption of multiple seborrheic keratoses caused by a malignancy/cancer ...