Monday, 27 April 2015

Ondo: 5 more die from 'ogogoro' poisoning

A total of 23 people have now died from ethanol poisoning blamed on locally brewed gin in southwest Nigeria, the local health commissioner said on Monday.

"The total number of deaths is 23," Ondo state health commissioner Dayo Adeyanju told AFP by telephone. Last Monday the death toll stood at 18.

Adeyanju said the five additional deaths were those taken to hospital when all the victims fell ill in the town of Ode-Irele earlier this month and that there were no new cases.

The mysterious symptoms and deaths raised fears of a contagious disease but investigations ruled out illnesses such as Ebola and other viral conditions.

Symptoms included headache, weight loss, blurred vision and loss of consciousness. All the victims died within a day of falling ill.

Adeyanju said the state government was investigating the source of the batch of gin as well as trying to improve the production of locally made alcohol to improve the safety of consumers.

Meanwhile, the production of local gin has been banned in Ondo state till the source of contamination is identified.

Over the weekend, the commissioner had said two of thirty-three affected persons had regained their sight, and were back to their respective homes. ‎‎





No comments:

Post a Comment

Can you guess the diagnosis?

This is the Leser-TrĂ©lat sign.  It is defined as the sudden eruption of multiple seborrheic keratoses caused by a malignancy/cancer ...