You can go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back if you drink coffee because the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) recently found strong evidence that drinking coffee is linked to a decreased risk of liver cancer.
Consumers of alcohol will be sad to know that the consumption of three or more alcoholic drinks a day is enough to cause liver cancer.
It is of vital importance to care for the liver since we have just one, so to reduce the risk of liver damage and cancer, it is recommended that:
1. Men should limit the daily intake of alcohol to a maximum of 2 alcoholic drinks and women 1 alcoholic drink a day(altogether it remains best to avoid alcohol).
2. Maintain a healthy weight.
The previously known benefits of coffee include:
- Antioxidants supply- Coffee is one of the best sources of antioxidants; those molecules that protect your body cells from damage, keeping you healthy and young. A cup or two of caffeinated/decaffeinated coffee a day is sufficient for this.
- Protection against Type II diabetes.
- Reduction of stroke risk.
- Prevention of Parkinson's disease.
- Eyesight protection.
However, excessive drinking of coffee can cause unpleasant effects like anxiety, depression, sleep disruption so it remains best to drink coffee in moderation to get the benefits only.
For full details of the study.