Nigeria is overdue in aligning with the comprehensive polio endgame strategy by the WHO assembly.
One of the four objectives stated at the WHO assembly in May 2012 was the introduction of at least one dose of IPV into routine immunization schedules in countries using only oral polio vaccines (OPV) by the end of 2015 and the phased withdrawal of OPV, starting with type 2-containing OPV (OPV2).
- The virus is spread through contaminated food and water.
- It multiples in the intestine from where it invades the nervous system.
- Can cause total paralysis within few hours.
- Symptoms include fever, fatigue, headache, vomiting, neck stiffness, pain in the limbs.
- 1 in 200 infections leads to irreversible paralysis (commonly the legs).
- Death may occur if breathing muscles are affected.