Two studies showed that Truvada (a combination of Tenofovir and Emtricitabine) was 86% effective in preventing new HIV infection in gay men. Only 2 men contracted HIV while on the drug Truvada compared to 14 in those on dummy pills.During studies, the drug was taken before and after risky sex re-establishing it as an essential pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) drug.
Scientists also found no difference in levels of other sexually transmitted infections such as chlamydia debunking beliefs that the drug may encourage riskier sex behaviours.
Health organizations in different countries are working to integrate this new result into health plans for their citizens.
No doubt this is a score against HIV.
- Truvada was approved in 2012 by the U.S FDA.
- Used in heterosexuals when one partner has HIV and the other does not.
- Does not cure HIV or AIDS.
- Also used to treat HIV-1 infection.
- Hepatitis B infection may worsen if you stop taking Truvada.
- You must be HIV negative before you start taking Truvada to prevent HIV.